• An empty cart

    You have no item in your shopping cart

  • An empty cart

    You have no item in your shopping cart

Enter your keyword


Legal Firearms Discharge Areas in the Lower Mainland of BC

Legal Firearms Discharge Areas in the Lower Mainland of BC

Legal Firearms Discharge Areas in the Lower Mainland of BC

Where can I shoot non-restricted guns in the bush? This map from the government of BC  is one resource that can help.

The full document can be found here: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations

Update April 2017 – The Province is restricting gun use areas of the Fraser Valley – Legal Firearms Discharge Areas in Lower Mainland of BC

Municipal Discharge of Firearms

Click Image For Full Size


No Shooting Area – means a designated area in which the discharge of firearms is prohibited.

B.C. has updated the Wildlife Act regulation to create “no shooting” zones within 400 meters of select roads on non-municipal Crown land within the Fraser Valley Regional District. The changes apply to recreational shooting and target practice and will not affect licensed hunting and trapping, or impact First Nations’ traditional rights.

Gun users who ignore the restrictions face fines of up to $50 000 and six months in jail for a first offence, and as much as a $100,000 fine and a year in jail for subsequent convictions.

Quick Facts:

• The federal Firearms Act regulates the acquisition, registration, licensing, storage and carrying of firearms in Canada.

• Local governments have the authority to regulate the use of firearms within municipal boundaries.

• B.C.’s Firearm Act regulates safe firearm use and transportation in the province, while the Wildlife Act governs the use of firearms while hunting.

Updated April 2017:

Maps of the “no shooting areas” will be available April 6 at: www.fvrd.ca/assets/Government/Documents/NoShootingAreas.pdf

Municipal Committees

These committees are responsible for reviewing and discussing topics such as boundaries and recommending changes in the discharge bylaws.

Active committees, such as Delta and Richmond, meet on a regular basis. Other committees such as Chilliwack, Pitt Meadows, the Township of Langley, Coquitlam and Mission only meet when it is necessary or if an issue is presented.

For those cities and municipalities that do not permit general discharge of firearms for hunting (e.g. Surrey, Langley), agriculturally zoned lands have been depicted where crop and agricultural lands protection activities can be expected.

Municipal discharge of firearms bylaws are enforced ONLY by Bylaw Enforcement Officers and local police departments; NOT by B.C. Ministry of Environment (Conservation Officer Service) or by Environment Canada (Canadian Wildlife Service).

The community charter gives cities and municipalities authority to regulate use of firearms and archery equipment (including cross-bows).


Federal Firearms Legislation A BC hunting licence does not give authority to carry a firearm. For information on the Canadian Firearm Licence contact Canadian Firearm Centre at 1-800-731-4000 or visit the website at www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/.

No Shooting or Hunting Areas

It is unlawful to hunt or discharge a firearm within 100 metres of a church, school building, schoolyard, playground, regional district park, dwelling house, or farm or ranch building that is occupied by persons or domestic animals. An owner or occupier of land or an employee of an owner or occupier are exempted near a dwelling house or farm or ranch building that is occupied by persons or domestic animals, for the purposes of slaughtering livestock. No Shooting Areas. It is unlawful to discharge a firearm in a No Shooting Area (see Definitions section). No Shooting Areas are open to the use of bows (including crossbows) unless specifically restricted (see regional sections).


It is unlawful to discharge a firearm across or to discharge a firearm or hunt within the road allowances of all numbered highways and any two lane or greater public road in B.C. that is maintained by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (or their contractors), the federal government or another province or territory. The road allowance extends: (a) 15 metres on either side of the middle of a road with less than three lanes, or (b) 15 metres from the edge of the paved surface of a highway with three lanes or more, or (c) to the boundary of private or cultivated land, whichever comes first. These restrictions address safety concerns that have been expressed by many residents living in previously unrestricted rural areas. Use common sense and if in doubt, don’t shoot! NOTE: Other closures that may be more restrictive on some highways or roads.


Leave a Reply